The Little Yorkshire candle company is housed within the medieval Our Lady’s Row.
Lady Row dates from 1316 and is the earliest row of houses surviving in the city. It stands on the street called Goodramgate and hides Holy Trinity Church almost completely from view. The reason for this odd arrangement is that the houses were built in the original churchyard. Their rental income was used towards the church’s running expenses.
The houses are very simple, made of plastered timber framing with roofs of curved tiles, ‘pantiles’. The original row was 128 feet long and only 18 feet deep. When it was built the row had two storeys and eleven bays. Generally each bay formed a single home with one room on each floor, but at least one tenement occupied two bays.
The basic structure of seven of the bays remains largely intact today, others have been replaced by taller brick buildings. In 1827 there was a proposal to re-open the whole churchyard to the street by pulling down Lady Row altogether. York’s oldest row of houses survived the threat and Holy Trinity Church remains a hidden gem.
72 Goodramgate since being a house has been artisan workshops , patisserie , ice cream parlour , wool shop , menswear shop and now has turned full circle to become the home of hand made candles .
Now a Grade 1 listed building, Our ladys row is a remarkable survival , not only from 1827 but in recent years , part of 72 collapsed into the street , in 2017 the houses were put on English Heritages Buildings at Risk Register , a passing vehicle had hit our shop revealing the parlous state of the exposed structure . However luckily the matter was resolved following negotiations with the buildings owner and repairs carried out to English Heritages satisfaction .
No wonder I feel so lucky to be part of such a beautiful historic building.. Now housing LYCC and with its own but porcelain replica to house its own little candle .